We went to the pros behind some of the Oscars’ most gorgeous hair to find out how to get Oscar-worthy hair at home.
Whether you loved Jessica Chastain‘s glam waves and Jennifer Lawrence’s effortless updo as much as we did, or you’re more into Anne Hathaway‘s modern pixie or Naomie Harris’ classic curls, we’ve got all you need to recreate these red carpet hairstyles for your next date night, wedding, or spiff-up-for-work day.
Follow out our step-by-step tutorials to freshen up your night-out (or nine-to-five) look with one of these leading ladies Oscar-worthy hairdos.
Jessica Chastain’s Glam Waves
Vidal Sassoon celebrity stylist Renato Campora went for a Hollywood glamour look for Chastain – a style that perfectly fit the glam vibe of the actress’ Armani dress and complemented her face. glamorous look from head to toe. To achieve the glam look, Campora paired retro waves with a face-flattering deep side part and tucked her hair on the left side to showcase her vintage Harry Winston earrings.
Follow Renato’s tips to recreate the look:
1. First create a deep side part. Then prep damp hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse, applying at the length for touchable volume.
2. Blow dry hair with a large round brush until it’s dry.
3. Spritz Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray to protect hair while curling it. Using a inch curling iron, curl the ends for 10 seconds, remove and then pin in place immediately.
4. Once the hair cools, remove the pins and brush the curls out for a soft wave. Tuck hair behind one ear.
5. To finish, spray hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to hold the style in place, leaving it with a sleek, finished look.
Jennifer Lawrence’s Romantic Updo
Follow these steps from Pureology’s Global Artistic Director, Wendy B langer and Pure Artist Sandra Joseph to recreate Lawrence’s ‘do:
1. Apply Root Lift spray hair mousse on damp hair from roots to ends and blow dry for volume and texture. Apply a small amount of Anti Breakage Twist shine texturizer all over dry hair for added hold and definition.
2. Gather hair in the back and secure into a low pony tail. Tease the ponytail and create a low bun. Mist the hair with Supreme Control zero dulling hairspray for extra support.
3. Loosely gather hair from left side, twist the ends and wrap around the bun. Secure with pins. Repeat on right side.
4. Comb fingers through the top section of hair, twist the ends of loose strands and wrap around the bun, securing with pins.
5. Finish with a mist of Supreme Control zero dulling hairspray for extra hold and shine.
Anne Hathaway’s Modern Pixie
Follow these steps from Pureology’s Global Artistic Director, Wendy B langer and Pure Artist Sandra Joseph to recreate Hathaway’s Oscar hair:
1. Blow dry hair with a denman brush and Nourshing Nectar sculpting gel layered with
Lustrous Volumizer bodifying glaze in a directional blowdry from side to side.
2. Set hair on a 1″ curling iron using Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray.
3. Smooth hair by running fingers though hair with a small amount of Control Twist high hold liquid wax for texture and movement.
4. Finish with Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray.
Naomie Harris’ Classic Curls
Vidal Sassoon celebrity stylist Ben Skervin chose a classic Hollywood style to compliment Harris’ rich, golden dress (fun fact: the Skyfall actress’ Oscar dress was designed by Savannah College of Art and Design student, Michael Badger).
Here’s how to get Harris’ Oscar hair:
1. Starting with wet hair, spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Color Protect Spray for a smooth, soft base.
2. Create a low side part on either side of the hair and then blow the hair out.
3. Once dry, use a 1-inch curling iron to curl 2 -inch sections.
4. After all of the hair is curled, brush out into soft waves using a boar bristle brush.
5. Apply a small amount of Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Color Protect Gloss Cr me over the top of the waves.
6. To finish the look, lightly mist Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to hold waves in place.
All Photo Credits: Getty Images
Catch up on more red carpet fashion and beauty highlights from the 2013 Oscars below.