Archives for posts with tag: transfer news

will hughes

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is stepping up his chase for Derby’s highly-rated midfielder Will Hughes, according to the Mirror.

Rodgers sent his chief scout to watch the England U-21 international this week, and views him as the long-term successor to the legendary Steven Gerrard.

Hughes, 18, limped out of Tuesday night’s Championship encounter at Bolton due to a hip injury, but had already impressed in front of watching scouts by providing an assist in the 2-2 draw.

Liverpool have been tracking the teenager for some time now but will not make a formal offer until they feel the time – and price – is right.

However, they may have to fend off interest from Merseyside rivals Everton, who also sent a two-man delegation to watch the starlet in action this week.

Hughes is considered one of the game’s most promising up-and-coming stars and recently said he models his game on Barcelona midfielders Xavi and Andr s Iniesta.

His main strengths are his passing and technical abilities while he has also become known as a “flair player” due to his usage of through balls and mazy runs to create space for teammates.

Despite Everton’s interest, Liverpool are still understood to be favourites to land the precocious youngster, possibly in the January transfer window, but may have to act fast to avoid missing out.

The post Liverpool Transfer News: Will Hughes Could Be Long-Term Successor To Steven Gerrard? appeared first on WhatCulture!.

Advertisements

Dw Stadium

Wigan Athletic have signed Nick Powell on a season-long loan from Manchester United, according to the BBC.

Wigan owner Dave Whelan confirmed the deal, saying:

“We obviously had Tom Cleverley on loan and I think United were happy with the job we did with him, so it’s good news that we’ve got the lad.

The 19-year-old joined United from Crewe Alexandra in 2012 but made just two Premier League appearances for the club, and saw two more appearances in the Capital One Cup and Champions League later in the campaign.

Powell becomes the Latic’s eleventh summer arrival in what has been a busy transfer period for new manager Owen Coyle.

The same however cannot be said of United, who are still awaiting their first big signing as the transfer window ticks toward its final hour.

The Red Devils have been linked with moves for Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini as well as Athletic Bilbao’s Ander Herrera, but so far, neither player has joined the Old Trafford club.

Fellaini has handed in a transfer request in an attempt to force through the move, however, and could still sign for United before the 23:00 BST deadline.

Meanwhile, Herrera is also thought to be close to joining, with reports that David Moyes’s side are willing to activate his 30 million release clause.

Do you think United are right to send Powell out on loan? Will they land Fellaini and/or Herrera? Let us know in the comment section, below.

The post Wigan Transfer News: Man Utd Midfielder Nick Powell Signs On Loan appeared first on WhatCulture!.

Papiss Cisse

Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse has no interest in joining Turkish side Trabzonspor, in spite of rumours linking him to the Super Lig outfit, according to the Chronicle.

The 28-year-old has only just resolved an issue relating to Wonga – the club’s new shirt sponsors for this season – a dispute that threatened to end the Senegal international’s spell at St James’ Park.

But the amicable end to that saga has not prevented further reports linking the forward with a move away, with recent speculation suggesting he is about to join Trabzonspor.

The No.9 is believed to be “mystified” by these reports and in fact received a warm reception during the Magpie’s recent 2-0 pre-season victory over St Mirren last week.

And the club’s joint-top goalscorer last season has no interest in moving to Turkey, which is good news for Newcastle, who need to add rather than detract from a squad that narrowly escaped relegation last season.

The North East club are on the verge of signing Lyon striker Baf timbi Gomis while talks over a loan-move for Loic Remy continue.

Manager Alan Pardew is keen on the QPR striker and almost signed the France international in January, but failed when the 26-year-old instead opted for a move to Loftus Road.

The post Newcastle Transfer News: Papiss Cisse Rules Out Trabzonspor Move appeared first on WhatCulture!.

Media Image Ltd

Media Image Ltd

Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov has emerged as a surprise transfer target for Spanish giants Barcelona, according to the Express.

Reports in Spain suggest the Catalan club are looking for short-term cover for the injured Lionel Messi, and Berbatov is on their list.

While manager Gerardo Martino is confident in the abilities of Neymar and Alexis Sanchez – who scored a brace against England in Chile’s 2-0 win at Wembley last Friday – he remains keen on adding experienced back-up to his squad.

Borussia Dortmund’s Robert Lewandowski, Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero and ex-Chelsea star Didier Drogba are also believed to be on Martino’s shortlist, though the possibility of landing Berbatov less expensively comes as a more realistic option.

The 32-year-old ex-Manchester United star could be lured to Spain by the possibility of one final big career move and the shot of playing at the highest levels once more, though it remains to be seen if his wage demands and expectation over regular playing time appeals to Barca.

Messi has been ruled out for the rest of the year with a hamstring tear and is expected to be sidelined for at least eight weeks, after picking up the injury against Real Betis last Sunday.

The post Fulham Transfer News: Barcelona Eyeing Dimitar Berbatov? appeared first on WhatCulture!.

Media Image Ltd

Media Image Ltd

Arsenal are lining up a sensational New Year bid for Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez, according to the Daily Mail.

The Gunners are weighing up a move for the Mexican striker, over concerns about Oliver Giroud’s workload.

Giroud is Arsenal’s only fit senior striker with Lukas Podolski still out injured, and manager Arsene Wenger is eager to bring in a new recruit to ease the Frenchman’s goalscoring burden.

Liverpool’s Luis Suarez remains a target, but, in news that will almost certainly heighten hostilities just two days before their clash in the Premier League, the Gunners are also eyeing United’s ‘Chicharito’.

Wenger will try to sign a new forward in January and considers the potential procurement of Hernandez’s services realistic, given how little game time he has been getting at Old Trafford recently.

Hernandez has yet to make a full league appearance for the Red Devils this season and has had to settle with being an impact substitute under manager David Moyes.

Arsenal also retain an interest in taking Juventus’s Fernando Llorente on a short-term loan, due to fears that Giroud is overexerting himself.

Giroud has started all 10 of the Gunner’s Premier League games this season, and also all four of their Champions League matches, raising concerns of burn-out.

The post Arsenal Transfer News: Javier Hernandez Bid Lined Up? appeared first on WhatCulture!.

Karim Benzema

Arsenal are poised to make yet another club-transfer-record-breaking bid for a Real Madrid player, with Karim Benzema being linked with a move to the Gunners, according to the Metro.

In the summer window, Arsene Wenger’s side shelled out 42.5 million for Madrid midfielder Mesut Ozil, and they are set to blow that out of the water by capturing former teammate Benzema, say reports.

According to the Metro, respected Fifa agent Francois Gallardo dropped a heavy hint that the striker could be on his way to Emirates Stadium for 43 million in January.

“A very important Premier League club is after Karim,” Gallardo is reported to have told Le Sport 10.

“This club wants the transfer to happen this winter, but if this is not possible, then next summer at the latest.

“The offer will be around 50 million [ 43 million].”

Though Gallardo stopped short of specifically mentioning the unknown suitor, Arsenal are known to be big admirers of Benzema, and tried to lure the Frenchman from the Bernabeu over the summer.

This renewed link with the attacker also comes a matter of days after Wenger promised to continue splashing the cash following the big money arrival of Ozil.

And, with forward Lukas Podolski ruled out until the New Year, a new striker is believed to be one of Wenger’s biggest priorities when the transfer window reopens in January.

Arsenal are currently top of the Premier League having gone unbeaten in the topflight since defeat to Aston Villa on the opening day of the season on August 17.

The post Arsenal Transfer News: Gunners To Make 43 Million Karim Benzema Bid appeared first on WhatCulture!.

Micah Richards

Newcastle United are lining up an audacious bid for Manchester City’s Micah Richards in January, according to the Daily Mail.

Toon boss Alan Pardew is a big admirer of the 25-year-old, who has yet to sign a new deal at the Etihad despite being offered a fresh contract over the summer.

The England right-back wants assurances over his place in City manager Manuel Pellegrini’s starting XI before putting pen to paper on a proposed four-year deal.

Richards has been rotated alongside Pablo Zabaleta on the right by Pellegrini this season, making just two appearances, one of which included the surprise start against Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

The defender can also play at centre-back, but City boss Pellegrini has preferred to limit him to his usual role as a fullback.

Richards is thought to be happy with competing with Zabaleta for a starting role, and is paid around 65,000-a-week to do so, but Newcastle could offer a significant financial incentive to move to St James’ Park.

Richards endured a torrid campaign last season, missing most of it through injury, and is desperate for first team football this term as he aims to get himself back in contention for the England side.

The post Newcastle Transfer News: Magpies To Make January Bid For Micah Richards? appeared first on WhatCulture!.

Ciprian Marica

Arsenal look set to beat West Ham to the signing of Romanian striker Ciprian Marica, according to a report in the Express.

The 27-year-old is a free agent and has attracted the interest of both Premier League clubs, and also has suitors from the continent with Shakhtar Dontesk, Lazio and Inter Milan keen.

West Ham are in the market for a new striker having missed out on re-signing Carlton Cole over the summer after he failed to prove his fitness.

And manager Sam Allardyce could be set for further disappointment with the news that Arsenal are favourites to land Marica.

That’s according to the striker’s agent, Ioan Becali, who told Romanian publication Prosport.ro:

“Marica is a really great striker who has already got experience in western European football and so it’s natural that big clubs are eyeing his career.

“He’s close to joining Arsenal, but we have to wait for the next week.”

Though the transfer window slammed shut at 23:00 BST last Monday night, clubs can complete deals for free agents at any point in the season.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger came under heavy criticism in the summer for his lack of new signings and though he eventually landed Mesut Ozil, Arsenal have a striking crisis with Lukas Podolski out until Christmas.

Marica was released from his contract at Schalke and though he failed to impress during his time in the Bundesliga, he has netted 22 times in 63 international appearances for Romania.

The post Arsenal Transfer News: Ciprian Marica To Join On A Free? appeared first on WhatCulture!.

gareth bale tottenham

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas expects Gareth Bale back in training on Tuesday if his transfer to Real Madrid is not completed by then, according to the BBC.

The 24-year-old has been linked with a move to the Spanish champions all summer and has become the subject of a world-transfer record bid of 86 million.

Real made two separate offers for Bale at the weekend, the first of 86 million to be structured over three to four years and the other of 70 million-plus-player in part exchange.

Last season’s La Liga runners-up are still waiting to find out if either bid has been accepted, and when asked, Spurs boss Villas-Boas revealed they could have their answer within the next 48 hours.

“Whether the transfer will happen or not, hopefully you will have more news in the next couple of days.

“But, at the moment, there is nothing I can tell you.”

Bale has yet to feature for Tottenham this season and was not at White Hart Lane for yesterday afternoon’s 1-0 win over Swansea, but Villas-Boas says there is no cause for alarm.

“We allowed him two days off.

“It’s not the first time this has come up. We never force non-selected players to come to our games. I decided that last season.”

In Bale’s absence, new summer signing Roberto Soldado has been banging the goals in and picking up where the Wales international left off.

The Spaniard has now hit four goals in three games, form which has impressed Villas-Boas.

“He is really adding to our game because he brings that life and spark.

“When he receives the ball in space, he has one objective, which is to beat the man.”

Should Bale join Real, he will become the world’s most expensive player with the Spaniard’s set to pay more than the 80 million they gave United for Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009.

The post Spurs Transfer News: Gareth Bale Latest Update appeared first on WhatCulture!.

Suarez

Liverpool have rejected Arsenal’s improved offer of just over 40 million for striker Luis Suarez, according to the BBC.

Earlier today, we reported that Gunner’s manager Arsene Wenger was preparing a fresh bid for the unsettled Uruguayan ace after having a 30 million offer knocked back on July 8.

The latest bid is an unusual one in that it is being reported to have stood at 40,000,001, which was designed to trigger a release clause in the 26-year-old’s Anfield contract.

However, it was rejected outright by the Merseysiders, who are technically duty-bound by the clause to listen to offers exceeding 40 million.

But they do not have to sell and have now twice rejected Arsenal’s advances for the ex-Ajax forward.

Wenger has identified Suarez as his No.1 transfer target this summer, and believe the player is keen on a move to the Emirates as they can offer Champions League football next season.

But Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is determined not to sell, and is also bracing himself for a bid from Real Madrid – though the Spanish giants only value the South American at 25 million.

Suarez joined Liverpool’s pre-season tour of Australia at the weekend after being given extended time off following his exertions in the Confederations Cup.

The post Arsenal Transfer News: 40 Million Luis Suarez Bid Rejected By Liverpool appeared first on WhatCulture!.

%d bloggers like this: